Certification according to the PSD requirements
The Process Standard Digital (PSD) was developed by Fogra. It is the description of an industrially orientated and standardized procedure for the creation of digital print products. Using the PSD certificate service providers can show their quality approach and the overall understanding of the output processes. Successful implementation of a the PSD provides printers with the benefits of improved cost, quality and time performance, with better sustainability and reduced waste.
- Hardware: Handheld colour measuring device including a means for drift detection (exemplary evaluation )
- Software: PDF- and EPS-based colour transforms, data preflight using PDF/X-Ready profiles, Ugra/Fogra Media Wedge CMYK V2. / V.3
Identification of 3 "combinations"
Each company to be certified muss identify three combinations, i.e. setup of substrate, printer, print mode and driving, for the one day audit. Those three combinations should comprise typical setups for the print shop and shall comprise different printers unless there is only one machine used. In that case the combinations might differ in another component such as the substrate or screening. Please use the provided spreadsheet to specify the three combinations. It also contains examples.
In order to be able to create a physical reference by means of a contract proof or a validation print the three combinations must be representative for typical production printing while at least one of the three combinations must be in conformance with either ISO 12647-7 (contract proof) or ISO 12647-8 (Validation Print). However if there is an additional "proofing combination" available this restriction does not apply.
- Successful completion of PDF/X-Creation
- Successful completion of PDF/X-Output for one of the three combinations
- Successful completion of FograCert Validation Print Creation for one of the three combinations or Contract Proof Creation or PSOprepress certification respectively
- ISO 3664 conforming viewing environment (by means of: FograCert Viewing Cabinet or ISO 3664 conformance protocol of the manufacturer)
1. Output process control:
- Quality management: Usage of methods for periodical process control [at least for the three combinations] - based on the Ugra/Fogra Media Wedge V2. or V3.
- Monitoring: Usage of quality assurance means to report and analyze the drift [at least for the three combinations] - Specs
- Calibration (against a reference): Means for correcting and corrective action in order to repeatably achieve the ground state [at least for the three combinations]
2. Colour Fidelity:
- Print output according to draft ISO 15311-2 or -3 against a reference printing condition [for the three combinations]
- The chosen combinations and quality levels will be listed on the Fogra webpage.
- Light-audit: Scrutiny of (at least) one viewing condition where colour critical appraisal is possible (ISO 3664)
- Preflight: Finding 7 out of 10 errors in a PDF file that will be sent to you two weeks before the audit
- PDF/X creation: Compliant PDF/X-Creation
- PDF/X output: Consistent PDF/X-processing and -output
- Altona Test Suite: Understanding the gist of the important elements and raise awareness for potential limitations of the used workflows [to be checked for the three combinations]
- Profile-handling: Configuring and conducting a PDF colour transformation of a RGB-based office PDF toward a selectable reference printing condition (e.g. FOGRA39)
- Know how: Print and separation related analysis of one of the three combinations [by means of the preferred tone value sum, separation strategy, variability, achievable gamut etc]
How to get the PSD-certificate - An overview
PSD package price: € 3.575,-- [For members: 2500€ ] The PSD-package price is including the three required modules PDF/X-Creation, PDF/X-Output and ContractProof Creation or Validation Print Creation.
PSD basic price: € 3.000,-- [For members: 2100 €] The PSD-basic-price is without the three required modules above.